Sunday, June 5, 2011

Geist Half Marathon Race Report

My report, along with any other information, is very late, as I have been just too busy with other stuff, especially with my new position at work. My "training" has been lacking, though the back issue seems completely gone. That was months of chronic pain.

So, this was my fourth Geist mini (of four held), and I always like this race. First, it is well-organized, with lots of volunteers. Second, it is not too crowded. And third, it is my home course. I regularly run the lake, and even when I don't, my shorter runs share about 3-4 miles of the same course.

And how did it go? On Thursday evening prior to the race, I started to get a sore throat before I left work. By the time I got home, it really hurt. On Friday I didn't feel so hot either. It probably didn't help that I hadn't had more than 5-6 hours of sleep each night for the previous ten days either. I woke up on race morning and had my ritual of pre-race oatmeal, bagel, peanut butter, and coffee. I wasn't feeling terrible, but not so hot either. I actually felt a bit nauseous, and my throat was hurting. Not much I could do about it. After parking and finding my way to the start, I waited for a long time to use a porta potty, and barely made it to the start in time. I had planned on using the trees and woodline, but there is a new fence making this all but impossible. I wasn't in a hurry either, but I cut it a bit too close, as I made it to my starting corral with less than five minutes to go. This was the first year for corrals, which I liked. Had I been that late before, I would have started way back.

My plan for this race was to not push it hard, as I had a full marathon two weeks later (later look at the calendar made me realize I had three weeks), and being at least two months behind in training to be ready, I wanted to make this a training run. Alas, the race started and I just ran a pace by feel, which means I was going faster than I should have gone. I didn't care, I thought I'd just go, and see what happened. The miles were ticking by, and I just couldn't help think about my ability to hold a pace on a full marathon. My endurance base has not recovered from the long wither and back injury. This should have been an easier race. Not that I was suffering, but I recognize the higher effort for the given speed. My lack of sleep and slight illness probably didn't help either, but my fitness has clearly slipped.

The race was uneventful, and my splits are below. I wall also mention it was warm and humid, which has a definite effect. My finish time of 1:43;38 is consistent with my previous races here (1:42;12, 1:46;08, 1:44:37). What was different is I was tired when I got home. Yet another sign of my endurance base slippage.

As far as the race organization, packet pick-up was super smooth, and the change to a short sleeve shirt appears to be the remedy to all previous race long-sleeve shirts being too small. I had resorted to getting an XL, just to have sleeves that almost reach my wrists (no exaggeration). The expo was just okay, and there was no schwag bag (a little disappointment). The busses to the start, and then from the finish back to the parking area, were quick and had friendly drivers. There were plenty of volunteers on the course, and there was never an issue or inconvenience getting water. There was enertainment on the course, which is always cool. All in all, this is still one of my favorite races.

Final time 1:43:38

mile time HR
1 7:24 153
2 7:24 162
3 7:36 162
4 7:35 164
5 7:56 166
6 8:04 164
7 7:49 164
8 8:17 165
9 8:08 167
10 8:16 167
11 8:17 167
12 8:19 168
13 7:48 171
.1 0.48 174

No comments: