Thursday, April 28, 2016

RIP Mom October 1, 1942- April 23, 2016

Mom left us this past weekend, after a tough battle with cancer.  The last couple of months, and especially the last few weeks have been hard. She was so strong and brave, and through it all she worried about us.  She spent her last month at home, and I think it gave her comfort being there, with her caregiver Bertha, who really provided the compassionate and personal care she deserved.

During her last week she wasn't able to speak, but clearly understood everything.  Many people called and came to visit to say goodbye.  That was really difficult, but what a blessing it is to be able to say goodbye.  Friday was really rough, and we did all we could to try to keep her comfortable.  Her friends came by, shared some prayers, and we just held her hand.  Later in the evening her friend Dana (a nurse) stopped by to visit and working with the hospice nurse on the phone, made adjustments to her medication to ease her breathing.  It really helped calm her, and while she still had difficulty, she was at least resting better.  Her last couple of hours she was peaceful, and just before midnight, she quietly left.  We notified hospice and then the funeral home, who came out at 1:30am to take her.

Through it all my sister remained stronger than I thought she could ever be, and I'm proud of her for it.  I'm glad I could be there at the end, and she wasn't alone.  But she never was.  She had so many people praying for her.  Mom touched so many people and it's unlikely I can ever know just how many that really is.  We are still making arrangements and I still can't believe she's gone.  I miss her dearly.  I love you mom.











No comments: