Sunday, August 14, 2011

Blacksnake Duathlon

I competed in the 26th annual Blacksnake Duathlon on July 16th. This was my third time here, and though this is about the smallest, no frills race I can find ($25), it's also one of my favorites. This used to be a three-race series, but low participation has cut it back to one race. The field is also smaller each time, and I wonder if there will be a 27th annual race.

It's a sprint duathlon, with a longer ride: 2mi/20mi/2.5mi. The run course is not scenic, but flat. The bike course is a bit hilly at first, but most of it is smooth, and very fast in sections. Being in the middle of nowhere, there is little traffic, and the traffic control (intersections) is excellent.

I went to this race not at all prepared, having barely ridden my bike this year. In fact, my training has been terrible, as it consists of getting a run when I can. I figured I'd just try to have fun. I thought I'd also try out my Gelbot again (it worked well). I thought my goal of beating last year's time of 1:30:57 was not realistic, but I'd give it a shot.


Run #1 13:18 (2 mi)

I went out steady and tried to keep an even pace. There were some fast people out there, but I found a couple of people to stick with. This was still tough, as I watched my heart rate tick into zone 5 during the second mile.


T1 0:53

The transition area is small, and I found that my Tmat Pro mat was muck better than the towel I had been using. It is smooth and easy to spot.


Bike 59:44 (20 mi)

I was hoping for a better time on the bike, but the wind was not in my favor. The northbound leg is generally very fast and you can really hammer on it, but wind (and lack of training) slowed me a bit. Still, I think it went okay.


T2 1:16

I was a little confused on the exit, but mainly due to being in a mental fog.


Run #2 17:10 (2.5 mi)

I was pretty much alone on the run. There were people ahead of me, but really far ahead, and there was no way I'd even be able to get close. And there wasn't anyone catching up to me. I settled into a pace and though I could have gone a little faster, lacked the will and motivation to enter the pain cave of a zone 5 sustained effort (redlining). I can't seem to be able to do this, unless I am chasing someone or a time. Given we all started at the same time, changing my speed wasn't going to change my position.


Results 1:32:19 2nd in AG

I still placed, and weeks later the official results still are not posted online. I suspect my field was very small...

No comments: